Sunday, September 13, 2015

I was asked to tell the story about the best dog in Olonzac. Arlo is her name and I found her abandoned in the hills to the north of Olonzac several years ago.
A mad Russian, Oleg, told me of a hidden waterfall and pool to swim in hidden in a gorge. My daughter and son and I set off to find it. This entailed driving down vineyard tracks and a hike of a few kilometers to this beautiful spot.
After spending an afternoon there with a picnic and swimming we were leaving as we lost the light. My son spotted movement in tall grass by the pool and alerted us that he thought a snake was approaching. It was not a snake but a tiny puppy that fit one hand. After waiting and calling out for half an hour Arlo left with us leading the way to the car.
The next day she was at the Vet's who said she's a 6 or 7 week old border collie and likely abandoned as the runt of the litter. She was far too young to be separated from her mother.
Arlo is very well known in Olonzac as the friendly, stick chasing dog with boundless energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment